Wednesday 10 April 2013

REVIEW - Fixing Spray - The Good, The Irritating, The Pointless and The Waste of Effing Money.....Pt 1

Hello there,

So as I have mentioned before in this post that I own a MYRIAD of make up fixing sprays. I probably don't need to go over the reasons I need my make up to last, as I do reiterate it constantly, but the fact is, I don't like my skin, I go bright red the second I get hot, I have photos taken all the time, I get VERY oily very easily and I am very pale. Therefore my choices in foundations are few and far between, as I need so many variable options constantly in different conditions, AND for it to actually, y'know, be the colour of my skin, that generally I have to make a non appropriate formula stick via other means. These means tend to be fixing sprays. So here's my first instalment of the run down. I'm hoping you find this helpful and comprehensive.

MUA PRO - Make Up Base Fixing Mist

I have already given this fixing spray a full review here, but to reiterate a few points. I actually use this spray every single day. Not as a fixing spray as such, but to give luminosity to my base after I have done foundation, concealer, and then powdered with a powder puff rolling application, which will leave my base looking rather flat and matte. I spritz this over my face, allow it to dry, and it give me back that glow I need. I then apply my colour, and spray with another fixing spray to finish. I high recommend this easily available spray, and if would probably suffice to fix your make up if you had dry skin. 

Available from Superdrug and direct from MUA for £5.00  

Urban Decay All Nighter Make Up Setting Spray

Out of all the setting sprays I have used, I would say this guy is the one I go back to again and again. He's not the ultimate best ever, but he's darn close. Produced for Urban Decay by the kings of effective setting sprays, Skindinavia, and now is much nicer packaging (seriously Urban Decay, what were you THINKING), this is an easily accessible to purchase, and certainly more affordable than Skindinavia, setting spray.

But what is the blurb about this chap I hear you cry! See below

"All Nighter keeps your makeup looking gorgeously just-applied for up to 16 hours - without melting, cracking, fading or settling into fine lines. Developed in an exclusive partnership with SKINDINAVIA, our groundbreaking, clinically tested formula is suitable for all skin types and features patented Temperature Control Technology. Yep, this baby actually lowers the temperature of your makeup to keep foundation, eyeshadow, blush and concealer in place even in hot and humid or cold and windy conditions. The result? Smoother-looking skin and vibrant makeup that lasts all day (or all night)."



And does it deliver? Well, pretty much yes.

I think you have to be realistic. If I applied a bog standard foundation, without oil control, and no powder, I wouldn't expect this to work miracles and keep my skin from expunging sweat and oil combined to dislodge my meticulously applied face. If you have normal skin, I think this COULD keep it all in place without an amazing amount of prep though. It DOES work. 

However, for skin such as mine, I will prime, then use a long lasting foundation such as Smashbox Studio Skin 15hr, set with powder, and then spray liberally, and it'll stick through a pretty hardcore night. I went to see John Maus play about six months ago at a sold out gig and it was insanely hot, and I danced until sweat was running in my eyes. I went to the toilet expecting a mess and amazingly, I looked exactly the same. The only time I'd expect that was if I was wearing the dreaded Estee Lauder Double Wear, thus looking not only the same, but like I had corpse paint on too, which isn't my favourite look. 

So I would HIGHLY recommend this to anyone. If you would like to buy it, it's either £9 for a travel size, or £19.50 in Debenhams for a full size.

And carrying on in the theme of Urban Decay....

Urban Decay Deslick Oil Control Make Up Setting Spray

This is another offering from Urban Decay, but this time focusing of daytime make up staying power for those of the oily persuasion. Lets see what the manufacturers say....

"This highly effective setting spray mists weightlessly onto the face to control oil, deflect surface shine and keep the skin looking beautifully matte throughout the day. De Slick Oil Control Make Up Setting Spray is formulated with high-tech ingredients that help keep foundation, eye shadow and blush from smudging, sliding or fading, minimising the need for touch ups. With no unpleasant stickiness or tightness on the skin, this unique makeup must-have leaves makeup looking vibrant all day with a chic, matte complexion."

And again, it does what it says on the bottle. Or box, or website, whatever. I personally use this in combination with other sprays depending on how dehydrated, so therefore oily, my skin is. I will spray it on a moisturised face, prime, give a tiny spritz around the t zone and then apply my make up. Finishing with All Nighter or another similar spray. 

I would recommend this of oily or combination girls. It won't help too much with a sweaty day, but it does keep you matte and stop oil breaking through, which is pretty invaluable if you favour a matte finish. 

You can purchase this, from Debenhams from the same link above, or from BeautyBay.com for £19.50



Collection (2000) Fix Me Up Long Lasting Make Up Fixer

Jumping on the make up fixing spray bandwagon are the budget line Collection, or Collection 2000 as they'll always be known to me, for I am older than the sun, and as a kid was living on the kind of money that meant that Rimmel was considered an affluent purchase. 

Anyways, this is what they say about it - 

"From the minute you’re made-up to the moment you dress down, you can remain the marvel of freshly applied foundation.
Duration is guaranteed from dusk ‘til dawn, without a worry of washing off, fading down or patching up.Any glam-girl-on-the-go knows how tedious touching-up and re-applying make-up can be, but now this non-stick, weightless make-up setter offers any budding beauty a ‘barely there’ sheen for the ultimate in luminous finishes.
No matter how stressful your day, this beauty BFF will be on-side to stay-away any un-wanted imperfections, giving a long-lasting flawless finish."

Well, it's promises a lot. Does it deliver?

Erm....well, it depends on what you're expecting for £5.99. If i'm honest, probably more than this delivers. The aforementioned MUA Pro Make Up Base Fixing Mist is cheaper, and it does a much better job. Also it's not scented by cheap bubble bath, which is fine for bubble bath but for for something you're going to spray directly on your face, which will retain its stink for a good long while. 

Aside from the smell, which isn't a concern of every girl, given the stinking lip balm so much slather on with their dirty paws constantly, does it actually prolong your slap? Well, perhaps a bit, i'd say maybe two hours at the very most, under very asinine conditions. I wouldn't go partying or out on a hot day and expect this to stop make up meltdown. It simply isn't built to do so. Saying that it's a lot more effective than a make up 'refresher' which you'll find tend to be sold as fixers a lot of the time (i'll cover this in my next post). If you're stropped and have a penchant for products that deem it okay to use the font Comic Sans with a pink and black colourway, thats your prerogative. Personally I think you'd be better off spending your money on the cheaper MUA offering....

However, if you are tempted, the product is £5.99 from Boots and Superdrug

Lastly, for todays post, but certainly not least, the opposite in fact - 


Skindinavia Make Up Finishing Spray - The Original 16hr

And now the daddy of all the make up finishing sprays. The don in fact. This product is something I cannot recommend enough. This is the company that has given Urban Decay a less refined, so a generic, if you like, version of this spray.

This is what they have to say about it - 

"Skindinävia's patented technology forms a lightweight, breathable web on top of your makeup that slowly releases over 16 hours. The timed-release evaporation retains moisture longer while also drawing heat away from the skin as it slowly evaporates throughout the day. The results are fresh, cool makeup for up to 16 hours."

And it works. My goodness it works! This is one of three variations, dealing with oil, and ultra bulletproof bridal finishing respectively. Any make up artist worth their salt that do bridal make up will have this nestling in their kit, ready to get you through the sweat, tears and joy of a wedding day. 

I have only bought this product once, and I absolutely LOVED it, but it's pricey for the amount you get, and not readily available in the uk. If you do what to invest in it, and it IS worth it, you can get it for £13.95 from the wonderful Cocktail Cosmetics

And that concludes todays fixing spray sermon. I shall be back with another instalment soon regarding the more chemically industrial type alcohol sprays. Until then! 






No comments:

Post a Comment